Thursday, January 21, 2010

It was a dark and stormy night.....

Lightning streaked across the sky in all directions and raindrops as big as my head fell onto my windshield making the wipers futile. I could barely make out the lines in the road on Route 66 I managed to stayed out of the shoulder only by inches. I crawled home inch by inch mile by mile. Slowly, cautiously, heart beating strong, Determined to get home, eat and crawl into bed.

Two back to back board meetings in Tulsa, jacked my routine. I had done chores at 3:00 right before I left for Tulsa. I felt disconnected from my people. Tonight I would be checking on everyone in the pouring rain. Its been a while since I've had to do that. Usually, that's when lambing occurs. Seems like it never happens in the middle of a nice warm sunny day but instead late at night in the pouring cold rain, with an ewe that refuses to get in the barn.

But no lambs yet. Rain had stopped. Everyone was hunkered down in the barn chewing their cud not hardly taking notice of my darting flashlight on the back side of my ewes.
Thank goodness, tonight I sleep.

No comments: