Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Heat wave

I can’t tell you how nice it was to have a 54⁰ day. I wanted nothing more than to be outside working, cleaning up all the stuff hanging around for the ice and snow. Shovels, sand, buckets ,strung up hoses etc. I had to remind myself however that sure enough there will be more to come, but I was determined to enjoy the heat wave anyway. I had a sense that spring was on its way. Delusional ?

The hard truth of the matter is, this is spring to us, well, getting ready for it anyway. Fields need to be plowed, beds made, and by the first week in February seeds ordered. The second week in February seeds started in our green house like tomatoes and peppers. Potatoes get planted and things like beets, turnips and spinach get planted under covers so when the second Saturday in April rolls around we have something to bring to market.

It’s hard to imagine it right now a market booth full of vegetables. But when I do I get this jolt of energy and I’m ready to get out there and get to it. The plot where we have our winter crops is still covered in snow and ice, some of the rows I haven’t even looked at but by Thursday or Friday it’ll be like Christmas and I’ll get to assess all the gifts that survived and share them gleefully with our CSA members this week.

Speaking of CSA , that’s another thing, it’s time to start soliciting for members. For those of you who do not know what a CSA is check this out; http://www.localharvest.org/csa/ and if you happen to live in our neck of the world check ours out
http://livingkitchen.homestead.com/CSA-Memberships.html.
The money that comes from our members is the upfront capitol the farm needs to buy seed, irrigation etc. Our CSA members are farm partners and they mean a great deal to us. So wherever you are, if you want an opportunity to go the distance with local eating defiantly check out CSA’s or subscription farming in your area.

No comments: