Friday, March 26, 2010

Behind every farm is a princess


I start the morning off bright eyed and bushy tailed. I should say, as bright eyed and bushy tailed you can be in your mid 40’s that is. I have my hot cup of coffee served to me (because I’m a princess). I start out like any princess would by writing the to-do list for my kingdom. “Ah, what shall be done in the magical kingdom today?” I enquire to the gods and angles. “Muck the barn you say?” And a couple hours later after chores and milking, princess here is ankle high in muck. I don’t know what it’s like in your kingdom but mine has muck! Some farms have queens and the difference is they are much better decorators than the princesses’, and they will be the first to tell you this!

Let’s get real here, the real princesses are the milk goats. Shameless too! And demanding….. I mean sometimes I feel like Cinderella working my tail off for my older sisters so they can go to the fancy ball! GET ME SOME GRAIN!, MORE HAY! CLEAN OUT THIS BARN IMMEDIATLEY! But we know how that story ends now don’t we. Wait, mine may not end quite the same! (but fear not, I make out just fine)

I’m now milking three beauties, two more hopefully by tomorrow, so the milk is finally flowing. It will be several days before I start making cheese, there is still a strong taste of colostrum in the milk. Can’t wait though I’ve missed it.

Today I’ve got chicks on my mind. Every time I try to think of something else it goes right back to chicks. Chicks, chicks, chicks! So today it’s going to be all about the chicks. They are getting quite big, quite fast and are growing right out of their brooding pens. Today I’m constructing a hoop house for them so they can go outside and still have adequate protection from predators and weather. Then in about three more weeks they will go to the school bus with the ¼ acre of electro netting. The bus hasn’t arrived yet. As soon as there is no risk of the delivery wrecker getting stuck it will be here. A week of dry warm weather could help that along.

Well, I guess it’s time for this princess to get out there and get dirty.
.

No comments: