Thursday, March 11, 2010

Back from la la land

Yup, I went there.

Sedona Arizona is my favorite place on this planet. The town was founded in 1902 and named after Sedona Schnebly, the wife of the first postmaster in the area. I go to Sedona to recharge. I get so much from being there in such a short amount of time. Some would say its because of the immense and profound beauty, but for many including myself, it reaches us on a deep spiritual level. Locals like to refer to the powerful Vortexes that have really made this place special. In a nut shell these "vortexes" are areas where a lot of energy is felt by visitors. An electro-magnetic thing ? there are many opinions and writings on this subject. For me I feel completely at peace. I leave feeling profoundly moved and profoundly recharged. five hours hiking for me is life changing.

I've been there many times and I like many who visit mostly stick to a routine, visiting the places that call to us and help us on our path. For me I start out at Chapel of the Holy Cross. This amazing place. Its hard to find a dry eye in the chappel not of sadness but of immense joy. Even thinking about it I'm tearing up. Weird. Just regular ol' folks like me walk in and start bawlin' and don't know why. I sit and spend maybe an hour or longer and just feel this loving energy. I have made an observation. the folks that are moved by it sit, stay and pray or meditate. Maybe light a candle, they linger a little, use a tissue or two, and then go down stars to the gift store and buy something that later, they will have no idea why they have a small $25 book of the life of Padre Pio, (that happened to me the first time). The ones who don't feel it are out in two seconds, they walk in take a glance and are out of there in a flash. When I leave my heart feels full and alive and I am telling you no matter how hard I try I cant find a dang thing to bitch or complain about.


The next stop for me is bell rock. This is my recharging station. I love to hike on the miles of trails, and climb up on the warm smooth red vibrant rocks. This area in particular is literally "electric". For me its a place to re energize, and revitalize. This year I met a woman on the trail around Courthouse Butte, Its the first time I've ever actually stopped and talked to anyone for any length of time let alone walked side by side on the trail with but I must say, it really made my day. I didn't bring my camera, mostly because I probably have close to a thousand photos already and that was just fine because my new trail mate was creating her own collection and was well up into the hundreds within the first mile or so. It made me laugh when she questioned whether the any shots would turn out. Fact is, these places want to be remembered and Bell Rock practically sits up and smiles when some one points a camera at her. I was right, my trail mate e-mailed me and got some great shots!

I usually end up hiking most of the day and you would think I would be exhausted, but no I'm so energized and awake and busy making plans for my new life. I'm glad to be home with renewed energy and a feeling of profound love and peace for my life and the people in my life. What a perfect way to start the season!



No comments: