Sunday, January 9, 2011

Potato and apple latkes


(potato pancakes)
First shred the potatoes and onions together in a bowl, then shred one small apple. I use Liberty apples that I bought from Don Chiartarno at the farmers market last summer. Latkes are one of my favorite Seattle past times. There are several Jewish restaurants and delis in Seattle that I used to love. My favorite which unfortunately has been long closed was called Matzo Mamas, run by a large curly headed bearded gay man. Although I never had proof of this, these were my suspicions. “Oy", he used to say "you must try the blintzes tonight Betty they are to die for” the die word, long and drawn out with a curl at the end. Betty was my mother, she loved blintzes and she loved this Jewish gay man. And for whatever reason gay men loved my mother, she was a good listener and they knew all the same show tunes. Oy! my child hood! Don’t get me started!

I loved the latkes at Matzo Mamas and the matzo ball soup was to die for. I loved that place. But the Latkes, Oh my god! A basic Latke recipe is potatoes and onions but the secret to mamas were you added apples to the mix. Traditionally latkes are served with apple sauce and sour cream. Shredded apples added to the potato and onion adds a remarkable sweet/tartness. Any way I’ve never forgotten them and I was 8 years old. I got started young. I’ve never forgotten Matzo Mamas either.

So blend the apple, onion, potato together. Add 2 eggs, ¼ cup milk and 2 tablespoons flour, a pinch of salt and mix just till incorporated. God forbid you then fry them in bacon grease but…… (oh, I can feel the hell fire nipping at my toes) sooo good! So, basically just cook them like a pancake. Be sure to put a dollop of sour cream or Yogurt in top it makes all the difference.
This morning thinking about Matzo Mamas I was craving blintzes too. I didn’t have the ricotta so I just made apple crepes instead. Pretty good I used the yogurt crepe recipe from a few weeks ago and if I don’t say so myself they were fantastic!


Life is good on the farm. The writing surprisingly is still going strong. We are planning a trip to Seattle, so that’s something to look forward to before the season gets going. I started working in the field last week. The sheep have eaten it down pretty well and are leaving beautiful fertilizer as they go. I’m hoping for some moisture so I can plow up old beds, and start getting the soil ready for the first planting of onions and potatoes. I can’t believe it’s almost time to plant. I’m pretty excited! Looking through seed catalogues rekindles the giant crush I have on the garden.
Tomorrow I am welcoming the snow so I can finalize my seed order. I’m not going outside. I’ll freeze. You want I should freeze and not plant a single seed? Oy!

No comments: