Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Back to the farmy life

My quick little weekend getaway to Seattle was wonderful. It was just the perfect amount of time off the farm. It felt like longer than a weekend but I think that’s because we were able to fit so much in; The water front, the pike place market, a nice long ferry ride, the locks and some time at the local beach and also plenty of time for family. During and in between all of this noshes of crab cocktail, oysters, salmon, more crab, more salmon. On Saturday the family came over and we ate pizza drank wine and looked through old photos of our family. It was really fun. Seeing my mom when she was a baby and a teenager was so cool. I’ve seen them before but for some reason sitting there with my nieces and my sister seemed to bring out more enjoyment for me. I’m so grateful to have had the opportunity to visit.

No catastrophic incidents at the farm. All was fine and dandy. The farm sitter Haley did a fantastic job. We got in after midnight so we checked in with all of the animals first thing in the morning. It was nice to see everyone. I missed the farm. As I went on with morning chores yesterday I was again reminded of what a wonderful life I have. Being in the city was nice but I was ready to get back to my farmy life.

I have to say for being such a short trip I feel remarkably rested and rejuvenated. I did become a little overwhelmed yesterday when I was looking at all the work that needs to be done in the next 3 weeks but I just wrote my list and will just work on crossing stuff off every day.
The biggest priority for me right now is planting the hoop house, which I will be doing today and tomorrow. Next is preparing for kidding. Putting up the jugs (birthing stalls). Our first doe kids on Feb 19th then it’s one right after the other then a full week break in between groups of 4. We have 13 bred does all together. This will help us ease into things. We kid first and then lamb in March. It’s very exciting. Mostly I just can’t wait to make cheese. It’s time to get out into the field but it’s so dry. I’m praying for rain so I can run the chisel plow through and prepare the first beds for onions and potatoes. A good soaking is all I need to get started. I’m on pins and needles. The dry winter has the makings of a pretty bad hay season ahead. I’m crossing my fingers that we start getting some moisture soon.

No comments: