Saturday, February 20, 2010

Growing it

I love cloudless mornings on the farm. Its not like that now however, its lightly raining and cloudy. There is even a chance of snow tomorrow. That's why I love the green house. The one we have by definition is actually a high tunnel. Ribs of galvanized pipe anchored into the ground covered with a thick layer of plastic defies the winter. Any light is transferred into heat and the illusion of sun. On a freezing day if the sun is out it will be over 60 degrees in the tunnel. On a cloudy day maybe cooler but protected from the wind so its very conducive to growing cool weather items like spinach, lettuce and other greens. I love going in there to harvest on cold windy days I try to stay as long as I can. Its quiet and peaceful. Just me and the greens, and sometimes the cats lounge next to me in the isle soaking up the heat on a cold day.

Yesterday as Kasey plowed up the five acres that we'll be turning into vegetable fields I started seeds of peppers, and tomatoes, placing each seed carefully in a cell of organic potting soil. It's a meditation of sorts but one that is filled with intention. There is something so satisfying to me about growing my own food. Its something I used to dream about back in the ol' restaurant days.
Back then I had no idea what would be in store for me. For me its the first act of a great meal. Placing seeds in the soil. The recipe starts with soil, and finishes with a pinch of salt on the plate. The full experience of eating starts and ends with dirt. Maybe I'm just a control freak? I don't really believe that. I think I'm just like everyone else searching for the sacred. Trying to find deep spiritual meaning in the mundane. Cooking has always been a sacred act of spiritual expression to me and eating has always been an act of receiving the divine gifts of mother nature. Planting and growing has been an act of witnessing the profoundly beautiful perfect process of life on this planet. Not sure where I am going with this but probably out to the greenhouse.






No comments: