Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A time to talk


The last couple of months have been like running the marathon that seems to never end. Let me stress this is not a complaint, it’s really such an amazing achievement and honestly it’s been a struggle and I have never had a better year as far as accomplishments. But I’ve been on this roll, speeding though one task to get to the next and so on. What’s left behind is a trail of unfinished odds and ends, the byproducts of being a little over extended.

This week I have no parties scheduled, no farm table dinners, no, sheep to move, no cooking classes at the Wellness center, no harvest, no CSA drop off. I get to clean up my mess!!!!! I cannot wait to tackle the laundry, clean the house, scrub the toilet, shampoo the carpets, put tools way! Ugh! Let me tell you. Ahhhh! I’ve never looked so forward to cleaning the house!

The last two days I’ve gotten so much accomplished, I still have a huge list to get through in the next two days and you know what, I am taking Saturday off! I’ll still milk and feed the animals of course. But there is this really comfy chair that I intend on sitting at most of the day and finally finishing some books. Maybe some target practice and several walks in the woods. What a dream!

Yesterday morning I returned a small animal cage that I had borrowed from some friends. These people are very dear too me and I haven’t had time for a visit since before summer. As we got the cage off the back of the truck my instinct was to jump back in the truck arm waiving goodbye out the window and hurry off as fast as I could so I could get to the next thing on the list. But as we stood, leaned up against the tail gate on such an amazingly beautiful fall day, my friend’s flock of sheep in the background peacefully grazing, I was reminded of a poem that is very important to me.

A Time to talk

When a friend calls to me from the road
And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don’t stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven’t hoed,
And shout from where I am “What is it?”
No, not as there is time to talk,
I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit

Robert frost

No comments: