Saturday, September 4, 2010

All in a days work

Sometimes I look around and I think to myself, how am I ever going to get all the things done I want to? How am I going to clean and organize the work barn and the harvest shed, move sheep, weed the green house, brush hog the field, clean up the wood pile, burn the burn pile, spray off all the darn chicken poop on the porch and patio from the rouge hens who, in spite of having their wings trimmed, continue to scale the 5 foot fence so they can hang out with the dogs on the front porch! How? How am I going to turn the compost pile, muck out the barn, milk the goats, wash the eggs, clean the milk parlor, clean house, do laundry, make cheese, harvest, plant, teach a cooking class in Stillwater, prep for a farm table dinner, return e-mails/phone calls, write, eat, read and sleep? How? How will I do all this?

I might be what Linda calls catastrophizing the situation. I might be making a mountain out of a mole hill. I might be blowing this thing way out of proportion; I might be making something out of nuthin’. I might, I just might be. And this seems to happen more when I’m tired. When I feel like I’m in a dream trying to run for my life and my legs just won’t move. I’m grabbing and scratching my way along trying to go just a little faster only just to inch along.

This is how I feel. At least right now. But then I’ll go out and feed the chickens and gather eggs. I’ll milk the goats and I’ll come in make dinner and have a nice relaxing evening because mid way through milking when the goats have calmed me down with their witty humor, I’ll realize I’ve really done as much as I can do in one day. I’ve worked a good honest day and now it’s over. Tomorrow will be here and I’ll be rested and fresh and ready to start on the list.
Right now it’s time to mix a gin martini w/2 olives and go milk some goats. I feel better already. Life is gooooood! Keep this image of me always in your heart.

No comments: