Thursday, April 8, 2010

it's the little things

The latest addition to the kid pen is this little buckling, he has just a tiny bit of boer goat in him so I wont keep him for breeding but he is the cutest little thing in the world. The hardest thing about having milk goats and making cheese is you need the does to have kids in order to have milk. I know this might sound obvious but people do ask..... ? ..... they do.

So every year we have a load of kids, mostly boys. Last year out of 16 we got four girls. This year out of 8 we got 2 girls. So the question is what to do with the boys? Were keeping one. A beautiful salt and pepper buckling who was part of triplets, and from one of my very best milkers. Otherwise we don't have much need for them. Its sad really. Cuz they are really cute and sweet and so loving. Here's the deal. I wont eat goat, so I cant raise them for meat. I don't have anything against goat eaters, I just cant do it. I sell the buckling's knowing that it is possible they will at some time be eaten. I can barely stand the thought, but that's just my deranged thinking, cuz on a farm you really have keep a realistic edge to the fate good or bad of the animals that are born on your farm. I try my best to make sure they go to good homes but the sad truth is sometimes they have to go to the sale barn. Its still very possible they will go to good homes and be a great pet for a kid, they might be lawn mowers or they might go on the dinner table.
I've always wanted to start a "lawn mowing" or brush clearing business but really when would I have time for that. I think it would be a great business for someone to start here. I mean, they do it in Washington and Oregon, why not here? I mean Oklahoma is so similar....?......

2 comments:

J said...

After we fence the front yard (after the baby can walk) I want a cute lawn mower goat!

Jdub

Lisa said...

Yea, I see a FFA project in your future:)