Friday, November 21, 2008

What a week

It’s 26 degrees this morning and the milking was a bit on the uncomfortable side for the goats. I was fine, nice and toasty in my Carhart bib overalls and jacket. I’m thinking about getting them the little goat shawls I see advertised in the Hoeggar’s catalogue. The hats are cute too, but that’s more for summer.

What a week! I haven’t had much time to work on the dairy. My brother in-law and my niece from Seattle came to visit for the first time since I moved here in 2003. It was a great visit and I feel so much closer to them than I have in such a long time. This last August my sister passed away from cancer, the doctors never did find the origins but once the tumors appeared in her brain it was only a matter of weeks. They had been married for 37 years and up until the very end they were smooching, their love for each other clearly present. Thinking about it makes my chest and body warm with gratitude that they we able to experience what very few couples allow themselves to. So I think it was good for my bro-in-law and niece to get out of town for a little bit and it was a good and healing time for me too.

My niece is 20. Her existence is via iPod and texting, which I myself have recently learned how to do. So our communication has opened up greatly. For a city girl I was impressed with her endurance, there were many cold days cutting firewood and fixing this or that. She befriended many- a- barn cat and even named the un-named. (Bella and Muffin will be forever grateful and spoiled).

Les and I ran the route 66 marathon, I ran the 5K “fun run” (whatever!) and he the half marathon. He came in second place in his age group! It was a freezing morning, it took my ass four days to thaw out but we had a fantastic time.

All in all they enjoyed the farm and ended up to be a great help, no more barn door hanging off hinges, no more fence gate leaning against the fence and a serious dent was put into the downed limbs left from last year’s ice storm. We made a good bon fire and shared it with neighbors and friends. There was also a little leisure time of horseback riding and one very short nap for all of us.
Next week I am committed to catching up on phone calls to the dept of Ag. But on a very positive note the LLC was formed, business license accepted and we now can pay taxes. Yippee!......?
Looking forward to thanksgiving and sharing it with the many specials souls in my life!


Denise~ said...

Hooray for Lester! Great finish! And congrats to you for running your first 5K and for Anna teaching you to text.

Linda said...

I'm glad you had such a great time with Lester and Anna. And I'm amazed at your 5K finish. You rock! When are you going to do another one?

[I'm going to be good and not comment on the Carharts. :)]